The issue of jury service has been one of continual importance to CCE since its founding in 1982. CCE's work has resulted in a number of important reforms, including:
- the One Day/One Trial system in the DC Superior Court;
- the expansion of government lists of possible jurors available to the local and federal courts in DC via the Jury Trial Improvements Act of 2006;
- numerous Jury Service Appreciation Campaigns;
- the promotion of juror note-taking and question-asking;
- educating students about the importance of jury service;
- the 1998 publication of Juries for the Year 2000 and Beyond: Proposals to Improve the Jury Systems in Washington, DC;
- the 2006 publication of Improving Juror Response Rates in the District of Columbia; and
- the 2001 publication of The Grand Jury of Tomorrow: New Life for an Archaic Institution.
CCE is embarking on a new comprehensive study of issues relating to jury service in DC from the persepctive of jurors, judges and lawyers. We will be updating our website in the coming months with new information and updates!